HOW THE ODYSSEY HELPS CANADA’S MUSKIE FISHERIES
Muskies Canada is the centre of Muskie knowledge in Canada. For over 40 years we’ve been working with the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry in Ontario and other provinces to supply angler log info on muskies population.
We work with fisheries experts in universities on studies that document Muskie behaviour, fish handling and catch & release effects, spawning and migration and habitat use.
Individually our members each have a lot of knowledge that comes from years of Muskie fishing. Collectively, that knowledge has been documented in 40 years of science in The Release Journal, Muskies Canada’s quarterly magazine for members.
Twenty years ago, two of our chapters. Hamilton and Kitchener-Waterloo, developed a great way to share that great knowledge with the broader Muskie fishing public. The Muskie Odyssey was born.
Every two years we brought together the best speakers and the finest bait makers, and specialty equipment manufacturers to provide their knowledge, products and services for Canada’s Muskie world to learn and shop.
The Odyssey is well named because people came from far and wide to this great event.
For Muskies Canada the event became an import fundraiser. As a not-for-profit organization, all net funds raised go into the Odyssey fund, which allows us to invest in research and fisheries management initiatives across the country wherever there are Muskies.
Projects Supported by the Odyssey
- Spanish River Muskie Restoration Project
- Lake Simcoe Muskie Restoration Project
- Project Noble Beast
- Kawartha Lakes Pike Invasion
- Saint John River Tagging Study
- Muskellunge Nursery Habitat Study, St. Lawrence River / 1000 Islands area
- Genetic Analysis of Georgian Bay, Lake Simcoe, Saugeen River and Ottawa River
- Young-of-the-Year studies
- Population genetics of Muskellunge in the St. Lawrence River, its main tributaries and inland lakes of Québec
- Identification of essential Muskellunge habitats in Lake Saint-Pierre, Quebec
- Spawning Studies and Tagging in Severn Sound, Magnetawan River, Moon River, French River, Strawberry Channel and Lake Simcoe
- Radio Tracking Studies in Saugeen River.
By participating in the Odyssey you’ll be learning about Muskies Canada’s work to research, support and enhance Canada’s world class Muskie waters.
By participating in the Silent Auction, either making a donation or bidding on an item you really want that’s been donated by someone else, you will be DIRECTLY SUPPORTING our wild Canadian Muskies.
By becoming a member of Muskies Canada you will be learning directly about everything Muskie, and you can work with us to ensure sustainable Muskie fisheries for future generations.
Thank you. It takes all of us.